AGE APPROPRIATE WARNING

*ADULT SUPERVISION & PROPER SAFETY EQUIPMENT ARE REQUIRED WHEN UTILIZING THE TOOLS, PRODUCTS & TECHNIQUES DESCRIBED HERE ON OUR BLOG TO CREATE STAR WARS CUSTOMS.

Tuesday, December 13, 2022

"MANDO MAX" created by Elias

It’s rare that “Customs for the Kid” makes a fan fiction custom, but some occasions in are just that special!  For my boyfriend Max’s 21st birthday, I decided to make him an extra special custom action figure.  About a year ago, I created him a digital painting of an original Star Wars character that would serve as a kind of self-insert character for him.  In the beginning of our relationship, we had been talking about how our personalities and philosophies might align with certain factions in the Star Wars universe, me considering myself a Jedi, whereas he was more reserved, but with a soft core beneath the armor, so we decided he fit well as a Mandalorian.  Furthermore, he’s always been a big fan of Red Dead Redemption 2 and old Western films, so I wanted to give his Mando character a cowboy twist.

I created this figure using the new Vintage Collection Death Watch action figure from Season 1 of The Mandalorian as my base.  I used the Dremel to remove certain features like the original boots and the shirt  to create room for new forms.  I started sculpting the vest after thoroughly researching 1800s fashion to find certain design motifs in Victorian as well as American Frontiersman vests.  I decided on a double breasted leather vest that would sit under the armor.  I then sculpted new armor onto the breastplate, shoulders, and left thigh, as well as some reshaping on the pants.  The Serape poncho was a nod to some of the classic Clint Eastwood Western films.  I made it by rolling out a thin flat sheet of Procreate, cutting a neck hole into it, and then draping it over the body when it was starting to cure.  While it was still soft, I folded and formed the putty to resemble fabric and create the desired silhouette.  I sculpted the boots to match a pair of boots Max actually owns, and added some spurs to enhance that western theme.  The lever action rifle is also inspired by his Marlin 45 70, which I sculpted onto the weapon that came with the original figure.  The utility belt features a rope which I sculpted by rolling out a long thin cord of Procreate and shaping it when it was about halfway cured.  

I began the painting process by hand painting the wood grain into the rifle, then painted base coats onto the whole figure.  I dry brushed every surface with highlight colors and then wet brushed over that with a gouache consistency coat of paint to clean it up.  I then hand painted the remaining details like the patterns on the poncho, the silver armor chipping, the paint on the breast and shoulder, and the Mythosaur Skull on his helmet.  I got the vest and boots to resemble leather by dry brushing highlights onto it, and then putting a brown wash over that to give it an uneven color and glossy sheen.  I then finished it off by dry brushing some beige in a few areas to give him a weathered dusty look.

Overall, it was a very fun custom to make, and a labor of love, so I’m happy to see that it’s appreciated in its new home.  Happy birthday, Max!


"MANDO MAX"
created by Elias






















SKILL LEVEL: ADVANCED