AGE APPROPRIATE WARNING

*ADULT SUPERVISION & PROPER SAFETY EQUIPMENT ARE REQUIRED WHEN UTILIZING THE TOOLS, PRODUCTS & TECHNIQUES DESCRIBED HERE ON OUR BLOG TO CREATE STAR WARS CUSTOMS.

Friday, August 2, 2024

THE VINTAGE COLLECTION "GALACTIC STARCRUISER" GAYA Created by Elias of "Customs for the Kid"

Recently, I posted a Captain Keevan which was commissioned for a display at Halcy-Con, but that wasn’t the only figure.  For the second figure of my Galactic Starcruiser set, I made Gaya, the Twi’Lek diva who entertains guests at the Galactic Starcruiser Hotel.  The convention organizer who commissioned the figures also informed me that they will be on display on a background created by The Cardboard Galaxy

The recipe for this figure was simply a General Leia Organa in her ceremonial dress from the Black Series Collection. Underneath her regalia is a mostly featureless body, which was very easy to sculpt onto.  I modeled the head-sculpt myself using Blender, which I printed and then painted. Because more than one actor portrayed the character we were asked to create a generic headsculpt for the character. 

The soft goods were the biggest challenge making this figure.  I made a trip to the fabric store to find the perfect textile, which happened to be an indigo satin.  To make the pleats in the dress, I had to fold each section and stitch it.  The light trim was sculpted out of ProCreate.  The graphic on her cape was hand painted, which was challenging because if I made a mistake or painted outside the lines in any way, the fabric would be ruined and I would have to start fresh with a new piece of fabric. Thankfully I pulled it off on my first attempt!  Painting the pattern on her back was an incredibly painstaking effort. My great, great-grandfather was a fashion designer. I wonder if he would approve of my sewing and patterning skills. What do you think? Does it run in the family?

We hope you appreciate the newest addition to the Galactic Starcruiser collection!




THE VINTAGE COLLECTION
"GALACTIC STARCRUISER"
GAYA
created by Elias of "Customs for the Kid"




















President Lyndon Johnson with his daughter Lynda at her White House wedding wearing a tuxedo that was designed by Amore Pace, my great, great-grandfather.