AGE APPROPRIATE WARNING

*ADULT SUPERVISION & PROPER SAFETY EQUIPMENT ARE REQUIRED WHEN UTILIZING THE TOOLS, PRODUCTS & TECHNIQUES DESCRIBED HERE ON OUR BLOG TO CREATE STAR WARS CUSTOMS.

Saturday, April 29, 2017

"TUSKEN RAIDER CAMP DIORAMA TUTORIAL" created by Elias


So for school, I was recently given an assignment where I had to create a blog explaining the process of adopting a new skill and putting it into practice.  I had hoped I could have written a blog about anything since I had seven years of experience writing this one.  Although that would have given me an unfair advantage over my peers if all I had to do was some copy and paste to get my assignment done. Therefore, I decided to try my hand at something closely related to creating my own action figures, I figured I'd tackle learning how to make a Star Wars diorama.  

You would have thought for as long as I've been writing this blog, that I would have tried it at least once, but we never really had the space in the house to both build and display a large scale piece. Dad once made a small display piece for a few of our Star Wars Rebels action figures, but that is about all we ever attempted and I wasn't even home for that build.

I have a feeling that this may be the only diorama that I do.  Not because I didn't enjoy it, but because I have no idea where I'm going to even put this one now that it is completed.  I probably should have went a little smaller on this build.

Nevertheless, I learned quite a bit making this diorama. By the time I finished, I realized I acquired more than just one skill, but I added several new ones to my skill set.  I learned how to use plaster of paris bandages, installation and utilization of LED lighting in a display, and ways I could create an uneven surface in my display base with a variety of mediums I never used before.

I have to give a shout out to Frank D'iorio's Diorama Workshop website for providing me with a great step by step explanation on how to fabricate the outer shell of the Tusken Raider Hut.  I took it a step further and fleshed out the inside too, complete with tusked supports wrapped in real leather bindings, fur rugs, and a metal fireplace with light effects.

On top of that I had to make my first video tutorial explaining the entire build process in great detail so viewers could recreate my final result.  Dad even taught me a few tricks in post production as I edited what I had filmed.

But enough talk, watch my tutorial!







"TUSKEN RAIDER CAMP DIORAMA"
created by Elias



View inside the Tusken Raider hut. Real leather straps were used to accent the hand sculpted tusks that were painted and then used to simulate the hut's supports.


 A metal electrical fitting was used to construct the fireplace.


 Rugs and wall hangings were made from a furry fabric to simulate animal hides.






SKILL LEVEL: ADVANCED






BACKGROUND IMAGE:

_Pixelpiper. Star Wars Tatooine Landscape. Digital image. Flickr.com. Flickr.com, 13 July 2013.